Qatar now hands response to Saudi-led demands to Kuwait

Kuwait City, Tuesday Qatar has handed its official response to a list of demands by Saudi Arabia and its allies to the emir of Kuwait, a G...

Kuwaiti Foreign Minister, Sheikh Sabah al-Khaled al-Sabah (right), receiving Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammad Bin Abdulrahman al-Thani, at Kuwait International Airport in Kuwait City. Photo/AFP

Kuwait City, Tuesday

Qatar has handed its official response to a list of demands by Saudi Arabia and its allies to the emir of Kuwait, a Gulf official said. The response was delivered by Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani who made a short visit to Kuwait, which is acting as a mediator to resolve the diplomatic rift, the Gulf official said, requesting anonymity.

The official KUNA news agency reported that Sheikh Mohammed arrived in Kuwait earlier in the day to deliver a message from Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani.

No details were provided about the Qatari response but the foreign minister said on Saturday that the demands by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt “were made to be rejected.”

The Qatari response was delivered hours after the four nations accepted a call by Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah to extend the 10-day deadline for another 48 hours.

The initial deadline for Qatar to agree to the group’s 13 demands, including the shutting down of the Al Jazeera news network, expired on Sunday. The Gulf state denies funding extremism. It has already called the demands an “affront to international law”.

The requirements include the closure of a Turkish military base in Qatar and the curbing of diplomatic relations with Iran. In a statement released shortly beforehand, lawyers for Qatar denounced the demands and called for international condemnation.

They said the tactics were “reminiscent of the extreme and punitive conduct of ‘bully’ states that have historically resulted in war”. “The world must unite immediately to halt the singling out of Qatar for unjustified collective punishment and humiliation and to preserve peace, security and prosperity in the region.”

Qatar has been under unprecedented diplomatic and economic sanctions for weeks from Saudi Arabia and its allies, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain.

The four countries, whose foreign ministers will meet on Wednesday to discuss the situation, have accused Qatar of harbouring Islamist groups that they consider terrorist organisations - including the Muslim Brotherhood - and giving them a platform on the Al Jazeera satellite channel, which is funded by the Qatari state. Doha denies the accusations.

The imposed restrictions have caused turmoil in Qatar, an oil- and gas-rich nation dependent on imports to meet the basic needs of its population of 2.7 million. As a result, Iran and Turkey have been increasingly supplying it with food and other goods.

UAE officials said after the new deadline expires on Tuesday, the offer for Qatar to return to the Arab fold will be off the table, the economic and political sanctions on it will become permanent and Qatar will be ostracised by its closest Arab neighbours. - BBC

The post Qatar now hands response to Saudi-led demands to Kuwait appeared first on Mediamax Network Limited.



from WORLD – Mediamax Network Limited http://bit.ly/2uE4bp1
Nairobi Kenya African News, k24 live, around the globe, media max networks news Kenya

Related

Trending news 1877202350257545299

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Follow Us

Contact Us

For Complains and compliments towards this website, contact us on dailykenyapost@gmail.com or use the contact form below (on the footer).
item